BEN Idle Meta-Delegate
One of the initiatives that the Blockchain Education Network (BEN) prides itself on is assisting student blockchain clubs who are chapters of our network to set up delegates for various DAOs. However, there is still a participation gap for the thousands of university students in our network who don’t have a blockchain club at their school yet or don’t have the experience, time, and resources to run their own delegate.
Thus, BEN has launched the Meta-Delegate initiative to enable any and all the universities within our network to participate in DAO governance. The BEN Idle Meta-Delegate presents a framework in which students can intercollegiately come together to present and discuss Idle governance proposals.
BEN will host educational sessions with and about Idle and Idle’s ecosystems projects to educate students and make them more knowledgeable when voting and discussing proposals. Internal votes are conducted across all participating universities, and the BEN meta-delegate will officially vote in the direction of the internal majority. This way, BEN can bring representation and engagement in Idle governance from students at smaller universities around the world.
- Our vision is to decentralize and democratize DeFi governance power into the hands of the young people across the world, enabling them to have a say in how these blockchain products that will revolutionize society should be built.
- We define success based on galvanized interest and participation from the students within BEN’s network. We are targeting a high diversity and representation from universities from around the world.
- We measure our success based on how many universities and countries are represented in our Idle governance calls, as well as how many university chapters we are able to set up with their own delegate.
One of our obstacles has been coordinating between our 80+ different university chapters around the world. We’ve been tackling this issue by growing our organizing team and establishing committees focused on addressing the different initiatives of BEN (ex: education, tech, alumni, events);
Another one of our obstacles is occasional periods of low engagement from students in the past during bear markets. By listening to their feedback, we’ve been able to iterate upon our initiatives and tailor our efforts to provide real value to them. We’ve become very familiar with our students’ needs and interests and thus engagement for our initiatives has been proliferating.
- The BEN Idle Meta-Delegate is set up and a campaign to accrue voting power starts (per this proposal)
- BEN reaches out to its network and gathers all students interested in Idle governance into a group in its governance forum (https://learn.blockchainedu.org) - most communication is held on Telegram.
- The Meta-Delegate meets regularly to discuss and give feedback on existing Idle proposals.
- When it comes time to cast a vote, the Meta-Delegate will conduct an internal vote across all participating universities.
- After the internal voting period ends, the Meta-Delegate will officially cast its vote in the direction of the internal majority.
- When reaching the meta-delegate, BEN will require chapters to delegate their $IDLE to the BEN Delegate in order to submit the off/on chain vote.
- The BEN meta-delegate will submit the vote via Tally.
Additional ideas and future plans
Eventually, when we plan on adopting the IDLE Governance arrangement where there is the overarching Governance DAO and subsidiary DAOs (subDAOs).
I believe by executing this architecture, we’ll continue to operate each respective committee as is, but escalate the conversation(s) into a more organized and inclusive manner.
Implement Gnosis Multisig wallet to decentralized vote execution and the custody & deployment of treasury funds.
Assist at least one emerging university chapter set up their own delegate and receive delegated voting power.
- $5,000 in IDLE tokens for a 3 month period.
- Meta-Delegate meetings will be held in two different languages with the help of our student ambassadors assisting with event coordination and translation.
- Initial Goal is to get 20 students from two target countries (USA, Italy).
- If successful, will re-apply for more funding to expand BEN Idle Meta-Delegate to more regions (Turkey, Africa, LatAm, Caribbean).